Sunday, January 17, 2010

Searching For A CRT Replacement Part 2 of 2

I had an ISF (Image Science Foundation - www.imagingscience.com) certified technician drop by and do a calibration on the plasma and it easily calibrated to D65 or television white. We ran a series of test signals that revealed good black to white tracking but a video processor was needed as the plasma displays a wider gamut than Rec 709. The tech recommended a Lumagen (www.lumagen.com) processor. I spoke with the sales manager there and got a very good overview of the unit. I have to say I've never heard of the unit and understand it's a quality unit known to the home theatre industry. There trying to make themselves know in broadcast so check them out. When I was at NAB last year I saw the new line of Cine-tal Monitors (www.cine-tal.com) and their video processor Davio. I recently borrowed a demo unit from our local reseller and took it through it's paces. Davio works in conjunction with cineSpace software and an X-Rite probe (www.xrite.com) to profile the plasma panel, create a LUT and display it. When I did a Digital Colour Theory class at FXPHD.com I had spoken the Jeremy Pollard when he was at Rising Sun Research/Cine-tal. He walked me through the software and I spoke of it in the class and used it to profile a Dell LCD display that I was using at the time. It did a nice job sampling the grey scale at over 4000 points and adjusting the Primaries for Rec 709. I'm using the Davio now and Cine-Tal's Richard Schott was a great help in dialing it in. Excellent pictures now and Rec 709.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

http://www.dolby.com/about/news-events/newsletters-dtvaudio-prm.html

Too good too expencive, but tooo good again

Katie said...

My office uses a Vista Spyder as our video processor. Since I use it in a business setting I can't really say if it's home appropriate, but I will tell you that having a stereoscopic 3D player for presentations and more is incredible. I always joke that we should watch some movies on it. I would think if you have a large enough screen or multiple TV set up it would be amazing for a home, you'd have the best home theater in your city.